The purpose of this policy is to establish a process for cancellation of a clinical placement across the province, that ensures all relevant stakeholders are notified in a timely manner, and that learners behave in a professional manner in their relations with the rural networks.
To download a cancellation form click here
Expectations of Learners
In the event that a learner cancels a rural placement that was previously confirmed, learners are required to:
Notify the DME network;
Notify the University; and
Notify the community placement(preceptor); and
Fill out the DME Rotation Cancellation Form
Please see Appendix A for a list of University DME contacts
Failure to comply with this policy may result in a finding of unprofessional behavior and will be reported to the appropriate Medical School.
- Learner applies to one of the provincial networks for a clinical placement.
- Learner is contacted confirming availability of the placement.
- Learner has one week to confirm acceptance or rejection of placement. Failure to do so within 7 days may void the rotation request and allow the rotation to be filled by another learner’s request.
- If acceptance occurs, this is a binding agreement between the learner and the clinical placement.
- If a learner cancels at this point, they must contact the network, fill out the DME cancellation form and ensure that the community preceptor is notified. The form is then signed and sent to the appropriate University contact.
Appendix A Contact List
Director, Clinical Placement Liaison Office
Phone 905-525-9140 Ext. 22906 or Ext. 22264
University of Ottawa
Office of Distributed Medical Education
Phone 613-562-5800 Ext. 8625
University of Western Ontario
Rural Regional Coordinator
Undergraduate Medical Education
Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
The University of Western Ontario
Medical Sciences Building, Room 111A
London, ON N6A 5C1
Phone 519-661-2111 Ext. 86225
University of Toronto
Either the appropriate Program Director found on the U of T Fac. of Med. website, or the Director of DME.
Assistant Office Manager,
Phone 613-533-6000 Ext. 32542
The second is Undergraduate learners and Postgraduate residents from Queen’s arranging a community elective.
Administrative Secretary, Regional Education
Phone 613-533-6000 Ext. 78453
Northern Ontario School of Medicine (East Campus)
935 Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury, ON P3E 2C6
Northern Ontario School of Medicine (West Campus)
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5E1
Eastern Regional Medical Education Program
Rural Ontario Medical Program